There’s so much excitement involved when it’s time to build a custom home. A vital element to building your dream home with success lies in your ability to choose the ideal custom home builder. Selecting the right home contractor will result in the completion of your custom home, and a pleasant journey throughout the building process.
Parker Built Homes is a custom home builder specializing in unique, affordable, new home construction in Tulsa and Northeast Oklahoma. We understand the challenge involved in building something that is uniquely yours. It inspires us to build something that others are afraid to build. If you’d like to avoid the frustrations of a bad building experience, trust Parker Built Homes with your custom home build, and enjoy the design process, the building experience, and the finished product!
Questions for Your Prospective Home Builder
How do you go about choosing a trustworthy contractor to build your dream home? Word of mouth is always a plus, but there are also concrete facts you can uncover to help you obtain the right home contractor for your custom home. A seasoned custom home builder can plan and build your home, exceed your expectations, build within your budget, and complete the work as scheduled. Here are some things to ask about the custom home building contractor you would like to hire:
1. Ask about their experience level.
- How long have you been in business? (Learn about their history in order to build trust.)
- How many custom homes have you built? (Discover how popular their custom builds are by gaining knowledge about the depth of their experience.)
2. Ask about their qualifications.
- Do you have a valid building contractor’s license for the state of Oklahoma?
- Are you a member in good standing with the local, state, and national Home Builder’s Associations?
- Are you a Certified Professional Home Builder?
- What type of continuing education classes do you take, and how often?
3. Ask about the designing and planning process for your custom home.
- Do you have timeless home design plans from which I can choose?
- How can those plans be changed?
- What are the standard features, and what upgrade options do I have in the design I choose?
- What type of energy efficiency features can we include to get the best long-term utility savings in my custom home?
- Can I provide my own designs and plans? How does that impact the price and timeframe of my custom home build?
- Have you built a home like the one I plan to build?
- Discuss your design preferences, and verify you have the right contractor to build your preferred style.
- How will specific needs we have, such as a home we can grow old in with accessibility features, be included?
4. Ask for references.
- Ask for several recent build references.
- Contact the references and discover what it was like to work with this specific contractor. Ask about their satisfaction with the custom built home and the building process. Ask about any difficulties they may have had in the building process.
- Ask about their construction standards to ensure quality.
5. Ask about your timeline preferences
Find out the estimated start and finish date for your custom built home project.
- Ask about what may cause delays in the schedule.
- Factor in weather and materials.
- Ask if the scheduled move-in date is realistic.
- Ask how many homes they built in the last year, and how many homes they build at a time.
- Realize their workload and understand how your project may fit into that.
6. Ask about communication
Ask about the best way to establish fluid communication with the person in charge of your custom home build. Fluid interaction is critical to a custom home builder. And when changes come up, written communication is a must.
- Find out who will manage the daily construction at your home site.
- Ask who your contact person will be and how you can best reach them.
- Ask how often you will meet with the person in charge of building your home.
- Ask about the process and timeline if you need to make any changes to the design plan. (Changing plans after agreeing on them can cost both time and money.) Find out the penalties and boundaries the custom home builder has in place for changes.
- Ask at what time during the construction process you can no longer make changes to the design features.
- Ask where you document the desired changes and how to communicate in a way that there is no risk of misunderstanding.
7. Ask about the job site.
- Ask how often you can visit the job site.
- Ask when the best time to visit the job site during the construction process is.
8. Ask about the warranties included in your custom built home.
- Ask if the warranty includes the structure as well as the workmanship and materials such as the home’s windows, doors, and roof.
- Ask if the warranty includes the custom home’s electrical, plumbing, heating, and air conditioning systems.
- Ask about the details of the home warranty. Specifically, ask what is covered and what isn’t. Find out how long the warranty coverage is in effect for each part of the home.
9. Ask about site safety and cleanliness.
- Ask about the safety of their construction sites in the last several years. Find out if they had any major injuries onsite. Inquire about safety precautions they take to ensure worker safety.
- Ask how the building site is left on a regular basis.
- Ask if they adhere to the Oklahoma State Code of Ethics.
10. Ask about insurance.
- Ask if the contractor carries workers’ compensation insurance and a minimum of one million in general liability coverage.
Parker Built Homes is known for quality new home construction in Tulsa, Northeast Oklahoma, and Northwest Arkansas. Homeowners appreciate the unwavering ethics, quality workmanship, and durable materials Parker Built Homes offers. Schedule a consultation today.